White Christmas Chili
Don’t wait until Christmas to make this delicious chicken soup. This chicken chili goes together quickly and slow simmers, filling your house with mouthwatering, heartwarming smells.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 6 cups chicken bone broth (see my recipe)
- 4 cups chicken cooked
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 whole onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 3 16-oz cans Great Northern beans rinsed, drained and divided
- 3 4.5-oz cans chopped green chilis
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- toppings shredded colby-jack cheese, salsa, crème fraîche
1. Saute onions and celery in butter over medium heat until soft. 2. If using raw chicken, add now and cook through. Otherwise, add your cooked chicken, bone broth, 2 cans of beans, and next five ingredients. Cook on medium-low for one hour, stirring frequently. 3. Process the final can of beans in a blender with a small amount of cooking liquid. Stir puree into chili. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Top with cheese, crème fraîche and/or salsa as desired.
To increase nutrient density, cook your beans from dried beans instead of using canned. Dried beans cooked at home have more folate than canned beans.
Make a double batch for serving later in the week, or freeze in a glass container for storing up to 3 months.
I've had this recipe for well over 10 years. I don't remember who I got it from, but I know I got it while living in Marietta, Georgia. I had a fabulous group of friends who loved cooking at home and sharing their families' favorite recipes. Thanks, gals, for this great one!